I had to unlearn many things I learned in school. And spend lots of time learning things in adulthood that I was never taught in school.
Why is it that we don’t teach the most important life-skills in school? How could we start doing that? How can we look after our teachers’ wellbeing better? They are playing such an important role in our children’s lives. How can we educate the whole person, and not just the mind of our young people?
These questions have brought me to discover people, organisations, ideas and resources that I share here.
Here are some things I think education could play an important role in developing in us:
– to be compassionate, forgiving and empathetic even when others do not reciprocate
– to cultivate inner wisdom and be guided by the greater good
– to be a seeker for Truth in a world that may not reward it
– to develop a contemplative practice
– to learn to resolve and grow through conflicts peacefully
– to be aware that our lives will end and hence how to live consciously
– to discover our Calling and find true joy in work
– to date consciously and develop a joyful life-long relationship with our life partner
– to use relationships to grow
The Inner Life of a Teacher
We need our teachers to be well and happy if we want out students to be well and happy.
Educating the Whole Person
We are physical, mental, emotional and spiritual beings. And need to grow on all thee levels.
The Gift of Learning video
Quaker Education is not just for Quakers. Very valuable whole person education which cultivates inner wisdom.
Strengths-based Education – video
I interviewed the Danish Ambassador to Singapore on why she thinks Denmark tops many happiness surveys. Part of her response includes info on their education system.
People in Education
Online games that do good
Transformation Game I am certified to run. For those over 16.
Movies that can be used to teach.
Picture Books are delightful ways of getting across meaningful messages.
Card Decks to inspire conversations and meaningful connection
The Virtues Cards are available from Bookaburra, Forum The Shopping Mall. They also have a children’s version. They also have an educator’s guide and other materials for educators.